Sunday, October 29, 2006

Its Happened....

I had dinner cooking (penne alla vodka .. mamma mia!) when my pager buzzed with the news.

The Board voted to terminate Dr. Fernandes as President-Designate.

From my reaction, you would've thought I was on campus jumping around too but my kids looked at me like I'd been sniffing magic markers all day. Yes, I jumped up and down and said to my wife, "Its happened".

Don't get me wrong, I truly feel bad for Drs. Jordan and Fernandes because they've seen any hope of a legacy or even having a positive footnote wash away with the Board's decision today. Likewise, I know the Board is now in a very difficult position: They have to reopen a costly presidential search process and hope 9thPrez#2 is acceptable to the community. Not only that, but they've practically given in, for lack of better word, to mob rule.

This is the second time in two consecutive presidential selections that the Board has faced and acquiesced to student/fac/staff protests. They have to be feeling very nervous in regards to their ability to effectively govern on campus.

Likewise, given all that's happened, who the hell is going to be 9thPrez#2? Given all that we know is wrong with Gallaudet (over-dependence on federal $ amid increased gov. scrutiny, lagging educational standards, etc. etc.); who would be willing to address these issues. More to the point, who would be able to convince both the campus community and more importantly, Congress and private donors that the University is still worthwhile even in this age of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

What has to happen now?

1: The Board must ensure the next presidential selection process brings a candidate who can address the issues noted above and is considered an acceptable representative of the University's unique place in the deaf community

2: The Board must ensure that students have a greater voice in campus matters and must also ensure that alumni have greater voting representation

3: Students must realize that institutional change will not come quickly. If I remember correctly, it took about 4 years for the Board to reach its intended makeup post-DPN.

4: Students will need to recognize by re-opening the Presidential Search, there exists the possibility that the next president is someone who's "better" than JKF in terms of leadership but also could be someone who doesn't fit a "deaf ideal".

5: Dave Evans says it best: There are no winners or losers. The entire fiasco has been utterly divisive and the dreaded red state/blue state mentality has been painfully evident. Posts like DeafEye's only serve to further rub salt in the wounds that are left bare.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: This is the time for moderation, patience and tolerance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Blog.