Monday, January 19, 2004

Unrelated to Fire Service...

Digital hearing aids really rock!

I'm sitting at my kitchen table, the kids are having their midday nap and I've got my brand new Sony CD Walkman (thanks for the gift certificates to B&N, mom and dad!)playing some Louis Amstrong.

A few months ago, I made the plunge and bought a new hearing aid. Not just any hearing aid but a Siemens Triano SP digital hearing aid. One of the benefits of the aid is that it is infinitely programmable. Meaning you can program it to amplify/mute certain sounds/frequencies and it has a omnidirectional microphone. Additionally, the SP has 4 different programs. Here's how mine is currently set up:

Program 1: Omnidirectional microphone is on and is set up for moderate background noise and will bring up speech to a normal level. I use this for everyday use and in the fire house.

Program 2: Omnidirectional microphone is on background noise is not removed. Designed to be used for listening to music ior speech in a quiet environment.

Program T: This is for use with phones or other T-coil systems.

Program AB: This is for the audioboot. I've purchased an adapter that will allow me to connect my hearing aid directly to the walkman so I can listen to my music without bothering anyone else.

No comments: