Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Hmm...

I had my first taste today that not everyone in the department was thrilled about having me. I had a short day at work today. Wife took the kids to a friends house and I thought I'd stop by and introduce myself to some more folks.

I met up with the Engineering officer (who happens to be a neighbor of mine) and he greeted me warmly and told me to feel free to walk around and check things out. I met up with the Deputy Chief (who I'd met earlier) and he said I'll likely get some turnout gear (hand-me-downs, of course.. I am a probie at this point anyway) this coming Monday and participate in the drills.

After Engineering officer and Dep. Chief left, I went to introduce myself to two other FFs who were talking on one of the engines. After I introduced myself; one guy got up and walked away and the other was looking at his cell phone intently.

I kind of get the feeling that there will likely be an element within the department that needs convincing. The higher-ups have been nothing but supportive of me.

Strangely, I'm not discouraged by this incident. I think once I show them I'm just as capable of jamming a Halligan bar into a car door or running 200 yards to the nearest hydrant and getting it going, they'll warm up.

I added a link to my e-mail account. Feel free to let me know what you think!

No comments: