Tuesday, August 12, 2003

First Drill Nite

Today was my first drill night. Typically, drill night is when members of the department get together to reinforce old skills or learn new ones. Unfortunately, tonite was a new-skill lesson for Rapid Intervention Teams and this meant it was a classroom lecture. I didn't have an interpreter because I didn't have enough advance notice.

However, I did a lot of research on the topic of Rapid Intervention Teams beforehand and was able to keep up decently. Basically speaking, RIT's are rescue teams that are ONLY to be used when a firefighter is in distress. They must be kept in reserve and cannot really do any work on the fire except wait for the "May Day" call. I had been thinking about looking into this as a role for me within the organization but during the course of the class, I realized it's not for a deaf person to fulfill. Mainly, the rescuers need to be able to hear a PASS device which is a strobe/alarm that is activated if the firefighter has not moved in XX seconds. To be tasked with rescuing a firefighter that's already down and where precious seconds count, that's a role that requires ALL senses.

My previous post regarding the un-happy FF was a fluke. Apparently, this guy is like this to everyone. No idea what the other fella's story was though.

Later this week, we'll meet again to go over training requirements, etc.. Should be fun.



No comments: