Monday, December 01, 2003

Been a while..

So sorry. Life intrudes and one loses track of time. The only reason I'm writing now is because I'm grabbing a quick bowl of cereal after the most grueling drill session yet.

Today, we did high-rise drills. Since I haven't taken any of the FF1/FF2 courses yet, I did mostly fireground support. Part of this meant dragging the dummy to the upper floors. Its a 300 lb dummy meant to simulate the weight of either a person who's completely out of it OR a typical firefighter completely decked out in FF gear.

The other part of the session was a flashover simulator. A flashover occurs when the temperature intensity in the room is so hot that the gases that have accumulated at the top of the ceiling begin to ignite. Even though this was a "fake" fire, I could feel the heat and really appreciated the protection the turnout gear offers.

More to come. Gotta drink some water.

No comments: